Monday, 12 January 2015

My thoughts on the poem "Invictus"





  In class, we read a poem called "Invictus" by William Ernest Henley, and I was very inspired by the poem. The verse that especially caught my attention was: 

"It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll, I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul."

I was very captivated by this inspirational verse because it got me thinking even more about my senior year and having to decide on what to do while taking in all the opinions of others. It gave me a reality check that at the end of the day, it is I who controls where I go in life and who I want to be. People often waste their lives by being discouraged by the many obstacles and hardships in life. In reality, it is you that drives the car on your highways of life, therefore it is you that decides how you want to live your life.

Invictus Poem read by Morgan Freeman: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FozhZHuAcCs

No comments:

Post a Comment